5S is an important organizational strategy commonly used in Lean workplaces. Red tags are an essential yet simple tool in 5S, used during the sorting phase. Red tags allow employees to tag items whose use in the space has yet to be determined. The sorting step recommends purging the workspace of unnecessary materials and tools and the remaining items (those that are not used on a daily basis) will need to be marked with a red tag. The red tag items will then be moved to their own area while a decision is made: should these items be thrown away, sold, or donated?
While tags usually come in the standard tag design: a cardstock tag with a wire, there are more options! Check out why adhesive red tags, like the ones featured in this video, can improve your 5S efforts here!
- 6S: Safety– creativesafetysupply.com
- What are 5S red tags?– 5sforum.com
- 5S – Setting in Order– kaizenforums.com
- The Tools of 5S– 5svideos.com
- What is 5S?– 5sexamples.com
- Floor Tape for Workplace Organization– floormarkingpro.com
- Pipe Marking: Valve Tags 101– pipemarking.net
- What is Kanban?– kanbanforum.com
- Using Valve Tags in the Workplace– pipemarking.info